Mike Velotta started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 1998 under Chris Brennen and Roger Brooking at Next Generation MMA. In 1999, Mike joined the United States Army and was stationed in Germany for a few years where he continued his Jiu Jitsu and Judo training under Dave Celise.
When Mike returned to the U.S. he moved several more times, training under several prestigious BJJ instructors such as Mauricio “Tinguinha” Mariano of TBJJ, Tony Smith of Lotus Club (Renton), and Finnie McMahon of McMahon BJJ (a Renzo Gracie affiliate).
Mike has also trained under the 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu system and
attended several seminars given by Eddie Bravo. It is Mike’s passion to have a well-rounded style which encompasses the fundamentals of grappling. Mike received his Black Belt under Thales Blaso on March 14, 2015.
An accomplished competitor, Mike has competed in Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Sambo, and Submission Grappling tournaments since early 2001 and continues to compete to this day.
On November 18th, 2015, Mike joined Matt and Arun in opening the doors to Foundations BJJ Academy, in Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2014 US Grappling Submission Only: Chicago – 3rd place Brown Belt Division
- 2012 Fight to Win: Colorado State Championships – 2nd place No-Gi Advanced Division
- 2012 Fight to Win: Colorado Open – 3rd place Men’s No-Gi Advanced Division
- 2011 US Grappling Submission Only: Greensboro NC – 2nd place Men’s 30+ No-Gi Advanced
- 2009 US Grappling Dominion Championships 3 – 2nd place 30+ Men’s Advanced Division
- 2008 US Grappling Grapple-Mania: NC – 1st place 30+ Men’s Advanced Division
- 2002 Ultimate Grappling Challenge 3: – 2nd place Open European Championships
- 2001 Ultimate Grappling Challenge 2: 1st place Men’s Advanced No-Gi Division